This drawstring bag is great because it fits everyone. If you are tall you can just use a longer piece of cotton string and if you want to make this for a child you can use less string.
For this project you will need:
- 70 cm x 50 cm of fabric, we used the Kauniste Sokeri fabric, which is 55% linen and 45% cotton
- 350 cm of cotton string
- A safety pin
- A sewing machine and sewing tools
Let's get started!
1. Cut two pieces of fabric 35cm x 50cm.
2. Fold and iron 1 cm of the sides and bottom of the bag.
3. Measure 2 cm and fold the top twice. Iron down and sew close to the lower edge like in the picture. Make sure to leave the opening for the string. Repeat the steps 2 and 3 to both pieces.
4. Place right sides of fabric together and pin in place. First, sew the sides of the fabric, starting below the openings and leaving a 2-3 cm hole on the bottom corners. Then sew the bottom of the bag.
5. Cut two 175 cm pieces of cotton string. You can also use a shorter or a longer piece depending how tall you are. Attach a safety pin to the end of one string. Start threading it through and go around until you reach the starting point. Do the same with the other string from the other side like in pictures above.
6. Tie the ends of the string together on each side in a knot. Pull the knotted ends inside the bag and through the holes you left to the bottom corners of the bag. Sew the holes shut with the string in between. Lastly, flip your bag right side out and it's done!